It was founded in 1908, when it took over the buildings and the grounds in a park of over 2.5 hectares, situated in the southern part of the city. Beside the buildings erected 150 years ago, several other buildings were constructed in time, namely the main building of the Observatory (1910), the Telescope pavilion, the Time pavilion, and the Solar dome (1963).
The majority of buildings were restored. A special pavilion of the main building, a round room of 8.5 m diameter, known as the Planetarium building, was build in 1999. this is now the conference hall of the Institute.
The library of the Astronomical Institute of the Romanian Academy is the biggest library of astronomy in Romania.
In spite of the fact that, throughout about a century of existence of Bucharest Observatory, the library acquired over 10,000 books and periodicals, in the eighties the library did not attempt to buy any new publication. Along the last decade, the library benefited by various donations.
The building of the library is a historical monument known as
The research staff shares a building with the Observatory of the "Babes-Bolyai" University. The main instruments are set up on the Feleac hill, 8 km outside the city.
Built in 1969 as the Observatory of the University, the Observatory in Timisoara is placed in a small building endowed with a dome for observations, where the telescope is set. This building is placed in a park, which has an area of about 3 hectares.